2018 Mercedes-Benz GLE vs 2017 BMW X5
2018 Mercedes-Benz GLE
2017 BMW X5
Both the 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLE and the 2017 BMW X5 seem to fulfil the high expectations set for luxury SUVs, but only the Mercedes-Benz GLE is able to push beyond them. While neither model offers anything less than premium comfort and prestigious styling, the Mercedes-Benz excels by delivering advanced features and a sophisticated powertrain beyond the reach of the BMW.
Power and Performance
If you just catch a glance of both cars on the busy streets of Austin, the 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLE and 2017 BMW X5 would seem fairly well-matched in terms of power, with the former offering up to 302 hp from a 3.5L V6 and the latter delivering up to 300 hp from a 3.6L V6.
However, the Mercedes-Benz engine draws upon next-generation engineering, using rapid-multispark ignition to fire up to four times per millisecond and high-pressure direct injection to fine-tune fuel spray in 0.1 millisecond. The result is smoother and stronger performance, with the GLE being able to tow up to 6,600 pounds vs. 6,000 pounds with the BMW X5.
Mercedes-Benz vehicles have always been where drivers turn for state of the art technology, and the new GLE is no exception. Standout features unavailable with the BMW X5 include:
- Apple Android/Android Auto: Sync your smartphone to infotainment and connectivity systems in a heartbeat.
- Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Premium Sound System: Uses 14 active speakers, 900 watts, and Bang & Olufsen’s patented ICEpower amplifier technology to deliver an immersive surround sound experience.
- Front Seats with Massage: Turn the stretch from Cedar Park into Austin into a relaxing experience by activating your massage seats.
Certain luxury vehicles fail to focus on safety as much as comfort and performance, but the 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLE isn’t one of them, offering the following high-end safety systems:
- PRESAFE®: Detects instability, then tightens the front seatbelts, adjusts the front passenger seat, and closes the windows and sunroof to prepare for a collision.
- ATTENTION ASSIST®: Monitors up to 70 parameters of driving behavior, automatically alerting the driver if signs of drowsiness are detected.
The 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLE Outclasses the 2017 BMW X5
The 2017 BMW X5 is far from a substandard vehicle, but it also doesn’t measure up to the 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLE. To experience it for yourself, simply contact Mercedes-Benz of Georgetown to arrange a test drive or explore financing.